SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT REGARDING SJHS SILVER AVENUE GARDEN PLOTS.
ATTENTION SILVER AVENUE GARDENERS!
On August 20th the St. James Horticultural Society Silver Avenue Gardens were judged using the following criteria from our current show book.
CLASS I – VEGETABLE GARDEN (Minimum of 8 Varieties)
Arrangement and appearance of gardens (practical and beautiful) 30 points
Cultivation and free from weeds 25 points
Uniformity of germination and growth 15 points
Free from insect damage and disease 20 points
Edible crop varieties (10 for maximum points) 10 points
Total 100 points
PRIZE MONEY WILL BE AWARDED AS FOLLOWS
Full Plots: 1st Prize - $10.00 2nd Prize - $7.00 3rd Prize - $5.00
Half Plots: 1st Prize - $7.00 2nd Prize - $5.00 3rd Prize - $3.00
CONGRATULATIONS TO THIS YEARS AWARD WINNERS!!
HALF PLOTS FULL PLOTS
FIRST – Plot 60N _ Nathanael Olson FIRST – Plot 15 _ Carl & Mildred Small
SECOND – Plot 47W_ Ann Ketonen SECOND – Plot 71_ Mitchell Lansworth
THIRD – Plot 94N _ Janice McLellan Shearer THIRD – Plot 48_ Iryna Ranenko
HONOURABLE MENTIONS HONOURABLE MENTIONS
Plot 16E _ Gloria Smythe Plot 112 _ Steven Custodio
Plot 28E _ Donna Vendramelli Plot 113 _ Colleen Thompson-Ward
As per GARDEN PLOT RULES for Silver Avenue Gardens please remember plots must be COMPLETELY CLEARED of all material by the 2nd Monday of October.
Please be advised that Water will be shut off on September 7th or at the discretion of the Garden Committee.
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT YOU ARE EXPECTED TO RESPECT SOCIAL DISTANCING GUIDELINES WHILE AT THE GARDENS.
GARDEN PLOT RULES for Silver Avenue Gardens
ANY TOOLS / EQUIPMENT LEFT IN PLOT AT YOUR OWN RISK
1. All gardeners must be members of the society. Children under age 18 do not require a membership.
2. All plots NOT PAID by April 30 and NOT STARTED by June 4 will be forfeited.
3. All plots must be COMPLETELY CLEARED of all material by the 2nd Monday of October. The gardens are tilled in the fall. NO gardeners are allowed
onto the plots after this date.
4. Water will be shut off on September 7th or at the discretion of the Garden Committee.
5. NO posting of signs. NO open barrels (for children's safety). NO dogs or cats allowed on the plots or paths.
6. NO gardeners are allowed on the plots in the spring until they are staked and numbered. DO NOT remove the snow fences as these
belong to the City of Winnipeg.
7. The white stakes with the red tops are the property of the Society and once put in place MUST NOT be moved by any gardener.
8. It is recommended that your plot be enclosed by a rope. The Society corner posts can be used for this purpose.
9. Paths must not be blocked off and must be kept OPEN and FREE OF WEEDS at all times.
10. Gardeners must not trespass on others' plots and must USE THE PATHS to access their own plots.
11. All plots must be kept clean and clear of weeds and free of insects and diseases.
12. Please ensure the vegetation in your plot DOES NOT obstruct the paths.
13. NO hoses are to be used on the taps or in the plots. PLEASE USE WATER RESPONSIBLY.
14. Vegetables ARE NOT to be cleaned under the garden taps.
15. Gardeners must inform the Garden Committee of any changes to their contact information.
16. GARDEN COMPOSTABLES may be placed in designated areas. All other waste is to be removed by the gardener.
17. Flowers should be planted on the front side in all plots and on the frontage of the plots on Silver Avenue and Albany Street.
18. NO non-organic chemicals can be used in the garden.
19. Gardeners are not guaranteed the same plot from year to year although every effort will be made to accommodate returning gardeners.
Gardeners cannot re-assign their plots.
20. New plots are assigned by the Garden Committee on a first come first served basis, based on a waiting list.
21. All gardeners are expected to enter their produce/flowers in the Society's Exhibition.
22. DISRESPECTFUL BEHAVIOUR WILL NOT BE TOLERATED!
THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS HAVE RULED THAT ANY GARDENER NOT ADHERING TO THESE RULES IN ANY YEAR
WILL FORFEIT HIS/HER GARDEN THE FOLLOWING YEAR.